Home | First | Previous | Next - Page 24

Brahmam cannot be comprehended by means of proofs or arguments. It is beyond reason and calculation. So, it is A-prameya. It cannot be measured. It is indefinable. It cannot be pronounced as being such or so, for this reason or that. It is immeasurable by time and space, the scriptures are the proof. The usual proofs for truth are direct perception (Pratyaksha) and inferential perception (Anumaana). But Brahmam cannot be cognised by these two means. The sages have experienced it and expressed it in the scriptures. That word (Sabda) is the firmest proof. 'Saastra' means that which brings to memory what has been forgotten. Brahmam is the very self-ness of every man. The Saastras (Directives of Counselors) direct and counsel every one. But man yields to delusion and becomes one with the darkness caused by false values and attachment to the unreal, the 'me' and 'mine'. But, scripture is the mother; she does not give up. She persists and pursues; she reminds man of the goal in order to ensure that he is saved.

Hence, the above aphorism, "Saastra Yonithwaath" declares that the Saastras or scriptures are to be considered as the cause of the awareness of the incomprehensible, immeasurable, inexpressible Brahmam. They are numberless, but, lifetime is too short. Aspirants are plenty; doubts and hesitations are numerous; steadfastness is meagre. As a result, no one can claim full mastery.

Of course, one has no need to drink the entire ocean to know its taste. One can discover the taste by placing one drop on the tongue. Similarly, it is impossible to understand all the contents of the scriptures. It is enough if one grasps the important lesson that is elaborated and puts that lesson into practice.

This lesson is: constant thought of God, as Prahlada told Hiranyakasipu, his father, when his father drew him near and fondly asked the boy to repeat what he had learned from his teacher, and make him happy. Prahlada replied, "I have learnt the secret essence of all learning." The father was glad. He asked him again, "Tell me that essential thing which you have mastered." Prahlada said, "Father! He who illumines everything, He who finally absorbs everything with Himself, is the ONE, the Narayana. Having Him always in mind and experiencing the Bliss thereof awards fulfilment to all." The boy uttered the name Narayana, which the father abhorred! He did not stop with that. He said, "Father! You have conquered the entire world, but you have failed to conquer your senses. How then can you receive grace from Narayana? These material skills and worldly achievements are hollow possessions. Brahma Vidya, the knowledge and the experience of the ONE, that alone is to be pursued." Next